When in need to add Youtube video to article in Joomla 1.7 , most people will go and install additional plugins or modules to be able to do that. Actually, all you need to do is disable filtering of article text and then you will be able to paste Youtube embed code to your articles HTML source. Here are the simple steps to embed Youtube video to Joomla 1.7:
- Log in to Joomla admin and go to Content -> Article manager
- Open Options on the right side
- Open tab Text Filters and assign No Filtering to your desired user group e.g. if you prefer only the Super Users to be able to insert the videos, change it only for them. Save & Close the options window.
- It’s time to add Youtube embed code to an article. Compose a new article OR open some of your existing articles for editing. Now if you are using Joomla 1.7 default editor TinyMCE, use the HTML button to reveal the HTML of your article and paste the Youtube embedding code in your desired place in HTML. For JCE Editor users, just click on [show/hide] on top of your editor to view the HTML and paste the code in there.
- Save your article and enjoy having Youtube videos in your Joomla articles with no plugins or modules needed.
Works super well even with Youtube’s new embedding code (iframe).
Here is a video (not by me) showing how to configure Joomla 1.7 to allow embedding Youtube videos (this video is embedded with iframe straight into article, no plugins or extra modules used):
* Beware that this tutorial suggests embedding Youtube videos via Insert embedded media button, whereas I suggest you paste the embed code straight into HTML. I like it simple.